Training to interact with the Board of Directors
Developed for Senior Executives
This 2-Day Board Presence Workshop prepares senior leaders, senior executives, and management to interface with the Board of Directors. Board Presence reflects the ability to meet the expectations of Board Directors with assured Leadership and Executive Presence.
Presenting to the Board demands familiarity with the unique procedures, protocols, and specific presentation guidelines.
This corporate communication skills training is uniquely dedicated to:
- How to make a presentation to the Board of Directors
- How to prepare for presentations for highly focused leaders with vision
Tailored to your organization
Corporate Class Inc. works with your organization to address specific requirements attuned to your senior executives. Our role is training through leadership coaching, selected members of management to develop the Board Presence to effectively speak, interface and connect with C-Level leaders and Board Directors.
Who should attend?
- Direct reports to CEO and C-Level executives
- Senior executives with regular Board interaction
- Management who interact informally with the Board and its members
- Department heads accountable to the Board – investor relations, public relations, IT – who may not report directly to its members
“Corporate Class conducted a workshop on Board Presence for our key presenters to Trustees. We immediately saw improved effectiveness from those people in the next Board meeting. We also got valuable feedback from the participants as part of the workshop on how to improve Board/Management interactions.”
Michael S. Spangler
President and Chief Executive Officer, Nationwide Funds Senior Vice President, Nationwide Financial Proud Nationwide Member Investment Management Group
Behind the closed doors of the boardroom
We go behind the boardroom doors to examine Board Presence — the precise requirements imperative to excel in this high-stakes environment:
- Board dynamics: Responsibilities of the Board; composition and diversity; its corporate objectives
- Board-management practices: We review actual, first-hand boardroom experiences to clarify Board members’ expectations
- Leadership and Executive Presence Training: Essential to establish management credibility
- Navigating potential pitfalls and challenges: Avoiding missteps within the boardroom milieu
Carol Stephenson is a seasoned Corporate Director. She has over 19 years of Board service, has chaired many Board committees and served 13 Boards, public and private.
Currently, Ms. Stephenson serves on the Boards of several leading companies and is a Director of General Motors Company, Maple Leaf Foods Inc., and Intact Financial Services Inc., Power.
In 2016, the National Association of Corporate Directors honored Ms. Stephenson as one of the most influential people in the boardroom community. The NACD Directorship100™ recognizes those who participate in actual board work and who influence how that work is done.
Ms. Stephenson was Chair of the Ontario Research Fund Advisory Board and was also a member of the Board of Directors of the Vancouver Olympic Games Organizing Committee (VANOC). She currently serves on the Board of Governors of the Stratford Festival.
In a forty-year career that has seamlessly spanned private and public sector leadership roles, Ms. Stephenson was a highly respected CEO, who played a critical part in restructuring the telecommunications industry and a visionary, who helped transform business education. From 2003-2013, Ms. Stephenson served as Dean of the Ivey Business School at Western University, Ontario. To learn more about Carol Stephenson >
Malcolm Bernstein is a consultant with expertise in organizational and leadership development, human resource management, executive search, and strategy. As an executive and facilitator of strategic discussions, Malcolm has extensive experience working with numerous and diverse Boards. This includes: Conducting Board development workshops; facilitating strategic planning committees throughout the development of long-term corporate plans; conducting presidential searches for leading institutions and agencies.
Malcolm has served on the Board of the Strategic Leadership Forum and launched and chaired the Social Sector Council. He is founder of The Benjamin Project and has served on the Governance Committee of Toronto Humane Society. Malcolm has performed voluntary and pro bono work with UJA Federation, Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, Wellspring Cancer Support Centres, Lupus Foundation, Hospice Thornhill and Starlight Foundation. To learn more about Malcolm Bernstein’s extensive experience >
“For senior executives, presenting to the Board of Directors is a milestone, a rite of passage. Handled with care and preparation, it often marks the beginning of transition from one stage of their careers to the next level.”
Diane Craig is the President and Founder of Corporate Class Inc. For over 30 years, she has been providing training to multi-national businesses, Fortune 500 companies and government agencies to optimize leadership performance and advancement potential for leaders to progress within their organizations. Diane facilitates workshops and seminars to organizations around the world: From Europe to the Gulf Region and across the Americas – North, Central and South.
Diane is dedicated to community service. She served as a Board Member for the Trillium Gift of Life Network, the Ontario organization responsible for organ and tissue donation and transplantation for twelve years. To learn more about Diane Craig >
An invitation to speak to the Board
This is a potential career builder. Although an invitation presumes an established level of credibility, nerves or a lack of presentation experience can derail even seasoned executives. Speaking to the Board and interacting with Board members requires Board Presence, an acquired skill.
The learning curve is steep; there’s no margin for error and rarely a second chance for a failed mission. Our pro-active approach equips top talent with the skills to ensure productive results across divergent Board interactions.
Guest at an exclusive club
Every senior executive is a visiting guest of the Board, not a member of its elite, private club. Presenting to the Board of Directors, the CEO, or C-Level executive leadership teams demands explicit conduct without any assumption of familiarity. We coach participants to simultaneously combine Executive Presence, authenticity and authority, with never a hint of arrogance.
UNIQUE FORMAT AND BENEFITS
There are many programs offered by various governance organizations, generally held for large groups from numerous organizations – and with a generic agenda and message. The benefits of our Board Presence workshop, over those programs include:
- Small peer groups
- Personalized feedback for each participant
- The opportunity to get issues resolved and questions answered
Our customized agenda and direct focus for each organization result in improved management teamwork developed through peer group training.
Content rich curriculum
Our approach is to connect, engage and stimulate participant involvement. It’s a collaborative communication process that builds a deeper understanding through conversation and dialogue, based on our proven, interactive training techniques.
The training is intense:
- Why addressing Board of Directors is unique: How to succeed within its parameters
- Genuine Leadership Skills and Executive Presence: More than looking and acting the part
- Anticipating short attention spans and the right ways to respond
- Time-management and contingency planning: When presentations are cut short
- Preparing for the all-important Q&A
- Building confidence
- Dealing with stress
Our Presentation Training enables management to demonstrate the high-quality communication skills they exhibit during relaxed conversation, when speaking more formally to the Board. Topics include:
- How to avoid reading or reciting from notes
- Clear messaging
- Developing content and material
- Managing complex data
- Practice and rehearsal
What management achieves
Facilitated by Corporate Class President and founder, Diane Craig, this Board Presence Workshop examines this complex world. Participants acquire:
- A clear picture of what a Board and its members expect from management
- Leadership skills and Executive Presence training to be more effective in both formal and informal communications with C-Level executives and Board members
- Actual real-life examples of effective Board-management practices
- A confident mindset to surpass goals
- Coaching to enhance Board interactions and their daily work experience