When you pack your bag to head to the office, do you leave your personal style behind? If you think you cannot mix style with function when it comes to the professional bag or briefcase, think again! There are so many choices in colour, shape, size, and material. And no matter where you are headed – whether to the office, airport, or gym – you can find a bag that will complete your polished image along the way.
Everyday Professional Bags
Commuting with a standard utilitarian laptop bag can feel at once bulky and boring, and your purse often won’t hold all the files and tech gear you need for your day. But there are an array of larger totes and bags that fuse form and function for the professional woman. Here are a few of our favourite options.
- For a classic bag that is subtly elegant but does not grab attention, choose a leather bag in darker colours, like black or brown. This type of bag will match with nearly any attire choice and travels well between contexts, from work to evening. The Coach Large Borough Bag in Pebbled Leather is a great example of such a bag – very spacious on the interior, but thin handles and subtle detailing avoid a bulky look.
- Fabric bags provide a great alternative to leather. This grey fabric Nina Commuter Brief by Tumi is made for professional women on the go, with extra compartments for a laptop and tablet. Yet it does not compromise a stylish look, with smooth grey fabric and leather detailing.
- Clutches are not only for eveningwear, but are made for laptops, too! Laptop cases have transitioned from utilitarian protective covers to sleek accessories. A leather laptop sleeve or clutch can add a level of elegance to your professional look.
Suitcases and Travel Bags
Staying organized is especially important when traveling for business, with even more belongings to keep track of. A sturdy carry-on that completes your look when striding through the airport is a must for professional women.
- Whenever I travel for business, I do not leave home without my Ebby Rane Quartermaster – which Canadian Living called the “world’s greatest suitcase” last year. Eleven carryall cases come inside the bag, which help me to stay organized during busy trips. Tan leather detailing adds luxurious sophistication to a simple yet powerful design.
- Tumi also offers a line of business travel bags specifically designed for women in business. The products in this line include roomy leather carry-on tote bags, a laptop bag with a pop of colour, and a trim wheeled briefcase. See the Women’s Business page on their website for more options.
When transitioning from work to the gym and back home again, it can feel awkward to lug a big duffel bag through the office or down the street. But there is no reason why your gym bag can’t match your professional profile.
- Among the best for well-designed gym bags is the Stella McCartney for Adidas line, like this grey bag in scuba-jersey fabric. Through her partnership with Adidas, McCartney takes her high fashion and design expertise and applies it to an athletic context.
- Lululemon also offers bags that can move easily from professional to recreational contexts. The Flow to Om bag in black is discreet yet roomy enough to pack all your gym essentials.