In fact in the year 2010 scientists actually devised a formula for the perfect handshake: firm squeeze and three shakes.
Here are seven steps when it comes to the perfect handshake etiquette that the study revealed that you can follow:
- Use right hand, a complete grip and a firm squeeze (but not too strong)
- Ensure fingers are under the receiving palm
- Position hand in a mid-point position between yourself and the other person
- A cool and dry palm, approximately three shakes, with a medium level of vigour
- Hold for no longer than two to three seconds
- Keep eye contact throughout
- Accompany with a good natural smile and an appropriate accompanying verbal statement
Here are a few other handshake etiquette tips offered by News-Sentinel to help you master the perfect handshake:
- Stand for introductions and shaking hands. It’s a sign of respect for everyone involved.
- Extend your right hand, engage web to web (the web between your index finger and thumb) or palm to palm. Then wrap your fingers around the strongest part of each other’s hands.
- Offer a firm and sincere grip. Two pumps are usually enough.
- Shake from the elbow, not the shoulder.
- Smile and make eye contact while shaking hands.
- Be prepared to adjust your usual firm grip for older people or someone with an injured hand. When in doubt, let them lead.
- A handshake that is too firm or too weak can give a negative impression.
- The technique for shaking hands is the same for men, women and children.
Mastering the perfect handshake is just the beginning. If you want to create lasting impressions from first impressions work on building your executive presence and business etiquette skills.