Do you remember an email in your inbox that went around over ten years ago entitiled, “30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She’s 30.” Penned by Glamour columnist Pam Satran the list ‘became a phenomenon’ and went extremely viral and reached millions of inboxes around the world.
The editors of Glamour magazine recently asked a host of celebrities what they’d wish they had known by the time they hit the BIG Three O.This collection of advice is going to be published in a book that’s titled with the same name as the above article and features advice from Maya Angelou to Taylor Swift to many other notable women.
Here is the preface offering 12 wardrobe staples every women should own from Anne Christensen, executive fashion director of Glamour magazine as published on MSNBC Today:
By 30 you should have …
Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
Of all the items on this list, this has always been my very favorite. Possibly because it’s one I know I’ve got down! And you should, too, because life is a lot easier when you’re not dashing around in a panic over what you’re going to wear to some hugely important thing that’s happening seven and a half minutes from now. Allow me to give you my list of twelve wardrobe staples every woman should own. It’s like CliffsNotes for your closet!
1. Skinny black jeans. You need a pair. Dress them up for the office or down for day.
2. A crisp, white button-down shirt. It suggests clean, cool confidence in the workplace, but unbutton two buttons and it’s the ultimate in sex appeal for night.
3. A go-to dress. It doesn’t have to be a little black dress. It’s even better sometimes if it’s not, because color makes a bolder statement. But it should fit perfectly and make you feel beautiful.
4. A classic black pump. It has to have at least a four-inch heel to boost your height and confidence. (Okay, fine. A three-inch heel if you must.)
5. A bright mini. My own favorite is red with a flared hem. It’s great to have one that’s a really bright color because it makes you stand out in a crowd. You can wear it for day—just pair it with an oversize men’s white sweater—or nighttime, with a silk camisole.
6. A bold piece of jewelry. Think: necklace, bangle, large ring, large earrings. I have a big necklace that I keep in my drawer at work, and it dresses up any outfit. A statement piece allows your personal style to shine, especially if the rest of your outfit is conservative.
7. A fitted blazer. A great-fitting blazer is a girl’s most invaluable staple. Pop the collar, roll the sleeves, or add a cool brooch to make it your own.
8. A colorful clutch. This one’s especially crucial if you have a closet full of blacks or neutrals. A splash of color will liven up the simplest outfit—not to mention your mood.
9. Black opaque tights. They’re so warm and practical, and they instantly make a dress look professional.
10. A lace tank. Wear it underneath your V-neck during the day or peeking out from under a jacket in the evening.
11. Ballet flats. They’re feminine and comfortable, and you can wear them anywhere and always look pulled together. I personally love a blue ballet flat.
12. A soft, luxurious white T-shirt. It has to be a great-quality one that feels good on your skin. You can wear it with everything else in your wardrobe. And if you find one you really love, buy three.
If you enjoyed reading about the 12 Wardrobe Staples Every Woman Should Own, you might also be interested in watching the celebrity video. To see the video click here.