Training to interact with the Board of Directors
Developed for Senior Executives
This 2-Day Board Presence Workshop prepares senior leaders, senior executives, and management to interface with the Board of Directors. Board Presence reflects the ability to meet the expectations of Board Directors with assured Executive Presence. Presenting to the Board demands familiarity with the unique procedures, protocols, and specific presentation guidelines.
This corporate communication skills training is uniquely dedicated to:
- How to make a presentation to the board of directors
- How to prepare for a presentation to leaders with vision
Tailored to your organization
CCI works with your organization to address specific requirements attuned to your senior executives. Our role is training and developing selected members of management to develop the Board Presence to effectively speak and interface with C-Level leaders and Board Directors.
Who should attend?
- Direct reports to CEO and C-Level executives
- Senior executives with regular Board interaction
- Management who interact informally with the Board and its members
- Department heads accountable to the Board – investor relations, public relations, IT – who may not report directly to its members
Behind the closed doors of the boardroom
CCI goes behind the boardroom doors to examine Board Presence — the precise requirements imperative to excel in this high-stakes environment:
- Board dynamics: Responsibilities of the Board; composition and diversity; its corporate objectives
- Board-management practices: We review actual, first-hand boardroom experiences to clarify Board members’ expectations
- Executive Presence Training: Essential to establish management credibility
- Navigating potential pitfalls and challenges: Avoiding missteps within the boardroom milieu
“As a Board Member, I want to stress how critical and important I find developing a good relationship and communications with key members of management in performing my duties effectively for all the organization’s constituents.”
Since 2011, Jim Olson has been a member of the Board of Directors of Maple Leaf Foods. Previously, he served as a director of Winn-Dixie Stores and PepsiCo’s Snack Ventures Europe. He has extensive Board committee experience.
Jim is a member of NACD (National Association of Corporate Directors) and recipient of NACD Fellowship, the highest echelon of corporate-director qualifications. As a Board Leadership Fellow, Jim is recognized for his expertise on corporate governance and commitment to excellence in the boardroom, notably, the importance of continued education to enhance boardroom skills. To learn more about Jim Olson’s extensive experience >
“For senior executives, presenting to the Board of Directors is a milestone, a rite of passage. Handled with care and preparation, it often marks the beginning of transition from one stage of their careers to the next level.”
Diane Craig is the President and Founder of Corporate Class Inc. For over 30 years, she has been providing training to multi-national businesses, Fortune 500 companies and government agencies to optimize leadership performance and advancement potential for leaders to progress within their organizations. Diane facilitates workshops and seminars to organizations around the world: From Europe to the Gulf Region and across the Americas – North, Central and South.
Diane is dedicated to community service. She had served as a Board Member for the Trillium Gift of Life Network, the provincial organization responsible for organ and tissue donation and transplantation for twelve years. To learn more about Diane Craig >
An invitation to speak to the Board
This is a potential career builder. Although an invitation presumes an established level of credibility, nerves or a lack of presentation experience can derail even seasoned executives. Speaking to the Board and interacting with Board members requires Board Presence, an acquired skill. The learning curve is steep; there’s no margin for error and rarely a second chance for a failed mission. Our pro-active approach equips top talent with the skills to ensure productive results across divergent Board interactions.
Guest at an exclusive club
Every senior executive is a visiting guest of the Board, not a member of its elite, private club. Presenting to the Board of Directors, the CEO, or C-Level executive leadership teams demands explicit conduct without any assumption of familiarity. We coach participants to simultaneously combine Executive Presence, authenticity and authority, with never a hint of arrogance.
— Jim Olson, Board Member, NACD Fellow, CCI Senior Consultant
Content rich curriculum
Our approach is to connect, engage and stimulate participant involvement. It’s a collaborative communication process that builds a deeper understanding through conversation and dialogue, based on our proven, interactive training techniques.
The training is intense:
- Why addressing a boardroom audience is unique: How to succeed within its parameters
- Genuine Executive Presence: More than looking and acting the part
- Anticipating short attention spans and the right ways to respond
- Time-management and contingency planning: When presentations are cut short
- Preparing for the all-important Q&A
- Building confidence
- Dealing with stress
Our EP Presentation Training enables management to demonstrate the high-quality communication skills they exhibit during relaxed conversation, when speaking more formally to the Board. Topics include:
- How to avoid reading or reciting from notes
- Clear messaging
- Developing content and material
- Managing complex data
- Practice and rehearsal
What management achieves
Facilitated by Corporate Class President and founder, Diane Craig and Jim Olson, Board Member and former International C-Suite executive, this Board Presence Workshop examines the complex world of the Boardroom. Participants acquire:
- A clear picture of what a Board and its members expect from management
- EP skillsto be more effective in formal and informal communications with C-Level executives andBoard
- Actual real-life examples of effective Board-management practices
- A confident mindset to surpass goals
- Coaching to enhance Board interactions and their daily work experience
Master class: Advanced module option
“What questions should you ask when considering a Board appointment?”
Specifically developed for C-Suite executives and structured around due diligence in joining Boards, this dedicated Board Presence module is facilitated by Jim Olson, Board member and former international C-Suite executive.
Please contact Diane Craig for details